Menomonee Falls Optimist Club
—- July Meeting schedule —-
All meetings are at 7:15 am at the Community Center except as noted.
- July 5: No meeting. See you at the July 3 Parade!
- July 12: COSTCO representative
- July 19: Tim Halbach, Warning Coordination Meteorologist at the US National Weather Service in Milwaukee / Sullivan
- July 26: Frauds and Scams presentation by Interfaith’s Heather Stoskoph
—- Message from the President —-
President’s Thoughts for July 2017
As Optimists, we are responding to the special needs of youth throughout our community.
“A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.”
~ Jackie Robinson
Our Menomonee Falls Optimist Club members who are involved with any of the thirty plus committees and activities know that we are making a difference in the lives of kids.
Active members gain fellowship, new social and working relationships with other community members who are, “Bring Out the Best in Kids”. Our members have an opportunity to develop and demonstrate leadership skills. Plus our active members gain the satisfaction of making a difference in the greater Menomonee Falls area.
Please read The Optimist magazine, Summer 2017, pages fourteen and fifteen, – AKA “Club Within a Club”.
Kids are Our Future! Please become actively involve with our Club and bring out the best in kids, yourself, and our community.
All the Best to You,
Optimist Club of Menomonee Falls President 2016-17
—- Upcoming Events —-
- Tue. July 3:Parade
- Wed. August 2: Club Picnic, 5:00 pm Shepherd’s Waters, N104 W21677 Willow Creek Rd in Germantown
- Mon. Sept. 11: Packer tailgate at Village Bowl
- Mon. Sept. 25: Installation Banquet
Tickets are available for the NFL Crazr Raffle. Pick-up to buy or sell from any of the Raffle Captains, Larry Hebbring or Jan Barbera. We are starting the football season early so you have plenty of time to sell 1000 tickets by August 14th for a $14,000 to the club. They are only $20.00 a ticket and last the whole 17 week season, with chances to win $$$ every week. Always available at Wednesday meetings.
Packer Raffle captains will be meeting on Tuesday, July 18 to choose teams for this year’s 21st Annual Packer Raffle. Last year’s event netted a record $21,659.16 to be used for the youth of our community. Next month’s issue will feature further details and a complete list of the 17 teams to which all members will be assigned. In the meantime, I’ll field any questions at 262-538-4024 (H) or 262-617-4024 (Cell), or of course at a regular morning meeting. The tailgate will be held on Monday, September 11 at Village Bowl.
COME ONE….COME ALL!!
Our Optimist Club Picnic is Wednesday August 2nd. Beginning at 3pm we will have games, comaraderie, appetizers, and cold beverages. Dinner will be served between 5:30 and 6 o’clock. Please feel free to bring your significant other along with friends or other family members interested in joining our club. The location this year is at the Shepherd’s Landing….a beautiful setting on a small body of water. Dan and Lynette Shepherd, our future president, along with myself and the picnic committee hope to see all of you there.
The address and directions are as follows:
N104W21677 Willow Creek Road
Germantown, WI 53022
Go West on Willow Creek from Appleton (only way to turn)
the drive is at the top of the hill on the left (across from the old apple orchard) before you hit Amy Belle Rd
I will have sign-up sheets at all future meetings. If you are unable to attend these meetings but wish to come to the picnic, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org at your earliest convenience. Just name and number attending with you is all I need. This will ensure that we have enough food for all. If you have any further questions, please feel free to email me or contact me at 262-751-4657. Please do not bring anything but a smile to the picnic. This picnic is a celebration of what we have accomplished over the past year and to regenerate ourselves for the upcoming projects in the new year that lies ahead.
—- Executive Board —-
Please welcome Dr Steffan McCullough as our newest member of the Optimist Club!! Steffan was a guest of Dr Shannon Kurtz at our Membership Drive meeting and handed in his application on the spot. Welcome Steffan to the best Club in Menomonee Falls.
Night Meeting Update
Carol Schulteis has come forward and expressed a desire to do what she can to ensure night meetings continue and to work with the current speakers committee on speakers and locations (per the current Speakers Committees request). The board discussed this and due to the high attendance of night meetings, positive response from most members and the ability to visit & tour local businesses and establishments when time constraints would be an issue in the morning, determined that to move forward it would be brought to the entire club for a vote. They would remain the 1st Wed of the month to stay consistent.
Leadership Menomonee Falls Program Scholarship Available
As a club we have offered a scholarship to a member to participate in the Chamber of Commerce Leadership Menomonee Falls Program. There are many members that can speak to the impact this powerful Leadership Development program offers, including myself and Dustin Koehler, who have been recipients of this generous $850 scholarship. The year before last, no one took advantage of this and we want to make sure everyone is aware of it. There is a time commitment so a flexible schedule is required. The board has a copy of next year’s schedule for review. We would like our members to consider taking advantage of this scholarship. If you are interested, let Lynette, Jeanine or Sue Carney know and we will make sure you receive an application with the schedule. We also ask that you attend next month’s Board Meeting (July 18) to address the board as to WHY you are interested in participating in the program.
Board Meeting Minutes
Board Briefings – June 20, 2017
President Don Gorzek led the Board meeting on Tuesday, June 20, 2017. Meeting synopsis is as follows:
1) John Taylor Memorial Park enhancements – Chief Anna Ruzinski, MFPD Protective Services. Approved $1,250 for flagpole, to include Optimist name recognition on pole.
- Jim Foster reported on behalf of Larry Podolske – all accounts reconciled to 5/31/17
- Don Gorzek will contact Ryan Anderson on status of MFHS Capital Campaign
Committee Reports and Budgets:
- Scholarship Golf Outing raised $13,076.48 – thank you Todd Paulus!
- OI Junior Golf- June 23, 2017; only 24 participants this year which is down from last year. This is the last year our club will participate.
- Vote took place on May 31, 2017 at general membership meeting for election for 2017-18 Officers and Board. Voted in for 2017-2018 term are: Lynette Shepherd, President; Jeanine Dederich, 1st Vice President; Dustin Koehler, 2nd Vice President; Larry Podolske, Treasurer; Board Members- Dave Curran, Kathryn Hoff, Barb Schmit. Returning Board members are: Sue Carney, Tom Dueppen, Chris O’Reilly Note: Rose Schwartz will be Lt. Governor of SWIS District- congratulations!
- Two members have expressed interest in participating in the Leadership Menomonee Falls program beginning in August 2017; cost is $850. At least one Optimist member has been approved. Note: All membership told of opportunity at 6/21/17 general membership meeting. Interested parties are asked to make a short presentation at 7/18/17 Board meeting on why they would like to participate. Board will then make decision on support and if one or two members. Contact Lynette Shepherd or Jeanine Dederich if interested.
- Independence Day Parade – Golf Cart rental and insurance deferred to parade committee
Unfinished Business / Informational Items:
- Magic Show: Letter to Fund raising group; S. Carney is investigating to finalize termination; there will be no magic show this year
- Mackenzie Schmidt inquired on the $500 previously approved for her Girl Scout project of a sound studio at MFHS (if she reaches her goal and moves forward with the project). Don Gorzek will follow up as new sound studio is part of MFHS renovation.
- Future of Evening Meetings: Carol Schulteis has offered to continue the work for night meetings, with the speakers committee so there is no overlap. This is based on a presentation to the membership (Carol will come to a Board meeting and a membership meeting) and a vote by membership using survey monkey.
- New Member: Steffen McCallough, sponsored by Shannon Kurtz;
- Carl Trapp asked for Executive Board signatures on a temporary permit for DJ’s Goalpost (Friend of Optimist) to sell food, beer & wine outside their establishment at July 3rd parade. All profits to the Optimist Club.
- New Fund Raiser: Pat Heitman tragically died on June 4 in bicycle/car accident; leaves behind 3 children and wife; all very involved in school and wife Nicole is aide at Riverside. Pat was active in Jr. Indians and Booster Club. Todd asked if one evening of popcorn sales, along with a donation bucket at the wagon, could go to the family. Todd will first ask the family for their permission for this fundraiser, then will ask Larry Podolske and will report back to the Board.
The Board meets the third Tuesday of every month at 7:00 a.m. Members include:
- Don Gorzek, President
- Lynette Shepherd, 1st Vice President
- Jeanine Dederich, 2nd Vice President
- Larry Podolske, Treasurer
- Ted Klumb, Past President
- Dan Schwind, Past Presidents Council
- Board Members: Sue Carney, Tom Dueppen, Len Kimmel, Chris O’Reilly, Todd Paulus, Rose Schwartz
—- This Month in Club History —
July 7, 2001 (16 years ago).- Lenny Bentzien, an Optimist member for more than 15 years who was noted for running the putting contest at the golf outing (among other things) passes on. Subsequently his daughter establishes a scholarship in Lenny and Jessie’s name to be given preferably to someone going into the teaching profession. (40 Year History Program)
—- Past Events —-
“Respect the Law” meeting
At the June 14 meeting, Menomonee Falls Police and Fire Department demonstrated actions to be taken during a possible multi-hostage shooting and rescue situation.
Photos by Don Gorzek
MFHS Girls Softball Team
The Girls Softball team attended the June 21 meeting.
Front row – Miranda Fluegge, Cody Nelson, Abbey Frambs, Gabby Feltman Back row- Jordan Pettiford, Megan Jackson, Head Coach Lou Sanicola, Bri Rosenow, Faith Peterson
MFHS Boys Baseball Team
The Boys Baseball team attended the June 21 meeting.
L to R: Cole Mir, Nick Gile, Logan Roble, Head Coach Pat Hansen
OI Junior Golf Qualifier
On Friday June 23, 2017, 27 kids ages 10-18 took to Brown Deer Golf course to try to qualify for the Optimist International Golf tournament in Palm Springs, FL. After overnight rains made the course a bit soggy, the players played under bright sun and cool temperatures. The outing produced 9 qualifiers for the tournament in Florida that will be held in late July. The low score of the day was 72 from Emily Lauterbach in the girls 15-18 years old category. The low boys score was from Ian Gatzke with a 75 while competing in the 16-18 years old category. Although I was not able to attend in person, I heard from various volunteers that the golf played by the kids was amazing again. Special thanks to my co-chair Tom Carls, from the Kenosha Noon Optimist Club, who handled the event solo for us. Special thanks also goes out to all the people that volunteered that day to help the event run smoothly. Those volunteers are: Marcia Hebbring, Larry Hebbring, Bob Wenzel, Pete Olsen, from the Mequon-Thiensville Optimist Club, and Jerry Mislang and his two grandsons who helped spot for shots off the tee box. Although the numbers were low, the quality of the event was high. We look forward to the event in 2018.
—- Thank You Notes —-
The club received a thank you note from the following:
- Food Pantry
- Scott Walter – Principal at Riverside
Thank you note from the fifth grade girls who took part in the “Girls on the Run” program at Riverside School this spring. Our Club provided funds for each of the girls to participate in this program.
—- Next Newsletter Deadline —-
Articles for the August newsletter are due July 28. Please email your articles to Jerry Mislang. email@example.com