- Saturday | November 5, 2022 to Sunday | November 20, 2022
- 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Menomonee Falls Community Education and Recreation Center W152 N8645 Margaret Rd Menomonee Falls, WI 53051
2022 Leaf Raking for Seniors takes place November 5–20.
Senior citizens can sign up to have their yards raked by calling the CE&Rec Office at (262) 255-8460 by Thursday, October 27.
In early November, various youth groups will be assigned to handle the raking. They will contact the residents to arrange a convenient date and time to rake. While the service is free, donations are encouraged; and every donated dollar is matched by the Optimist Club and shared among the participating groups.
In a few weeks, our annual leaf-raking project will be complete. Starting during the week of November 1st, our youth group rakers will receive their assignments and begin contacting residents to schedule the yard clean-up. Raking is expected to be done by November 20th.
What are the benefits?
This event generally results in a donation of $1,500 – $2,000 to the youth groups who volunteer to rake the yards of senior homeowners. Funds come from donations from the homeowners and a matching donation from the Optimist Club. Seniors avoid backbreaking yard clean-up while the volunteers have fun and get rewarded!
How does it work?
We will follow the same approach as the last couple years. Here are the basics:
- Instead of a single date, leaf raking will happen over a two-week period starting November 5th and ending November 20th.
- Volunteer groups will receive their assignments prior to November 5th, but will have the option to complete the work when convenient for the group and the homeowner.
- The volunteer group leader will contact the homeowner no later than 24-48 hours prior to the scheduled date.
- The volunteer group leader will call us once the work is complete.
- Donations will be returned to the CE & Rec office by the group leader, or mailed directly from the homeowner.
How can you help?
We believe we have enough volunteers with trucks or trailers to haul leaves to our drop-off point at Johnson’s Nursery when necessary.
Special thanks to Ed Schlumpf and Kelly Lorenz for volunteering their vehicles. And…Del Kreuser and John Yusko both were able to obtain help from non-Optimist (at least for now) friends.
But, if you have access to a pick-up truck or trailer and can be available during the leaf-raking period, please let us know so we can add you to the list—we’d rather have too many volunteers than not enough. You will be able to coordinate available dates with the leaf-raking teams when they need help.
2020 Leaf Raking pics