- May 11, 2019
- 9:00 am - 10:00 am
- southwest corner of Good Hope and Pilgrim Rds. Menomonee Falls WI 53051
Looking for new co-chairs for this event.
The “Adopt the Highway” program was designed to encourage volunteers to keep a section of highway free from litter. Our Menomonee Falls Optimist Club has sponsored this program for many years. Three times a year we have maintained our assigned road area from Appleton Ave to Mill Rd along the east and west sides of Pilgrim Rd and no medians. We begin after April 1st and must be finished by November 1st each year.
Duties of the captain, co-captain are:
- Register with the state as the highway chairperson (this has been done for 2019)
- Bring vest, vinyl gloves and garbage bags supplied by Waukesha County to Prince of Peace Lutheran W156N7149 Pilgrim Rd
- Minimum of 10 hopefully 20 people split into 4 groups: Group A parks at McDonald’s and heads south; Group B starts at the church and heads north; Group C begins at the church and heads south; Group D parks in the Sunny Dale subdivision (close to Mill and Pilgrim) and heads north. Each group walks until they meet up with the opposing group, crosses the street, and heads back in the direction they came from.
- It takes about an hour to clean up the route
- Collect the names of participants and the number of bags collected
- Submit information along with the location of the bags left on the roadside.
- County will pick up the debris
For the effort, our club is recognized as a sponsor on a road sign at the corner of Appleton Ave and Pilgrim Rd and the fact that we are doing our part with keeping our community roads clean is an added bonus. The Adopt a Highway Program allows Menomonee Falls Optimist members to donate approximately 1 hour on a chosen Saturday morning, 2 to 3 times a year, to assist in keeping Waukesha County clean.
Grab a friend to co-chair this event with you. Questions? Contact Terry Fitzsimmons Tfitz8752@msn.com 414-587-9322
Photos from 2018 Spring Clean-up by Don Gorzek
Spring highway clean-up was done under clear blue skies on Saturday, May 26, 2018. We started at 8am and were done by 10 am. The crew included 25 children and parents from the under 10 Falls baseball team, an Optimist sponsored team. They were led by optimist Terry Fitzimmons and Carl Trapp.
Adopt-A-Highway Co-Chair: Terry Fitzsimmons
Adopt-A-Highway Co-chair: vacant